The fellowship program for the 2022-23 academic year will be announced here in early December.
We adapted our fellowship program for the 2020-21 and 2021-22 academic years to be a non-residential program supporting in-depth reporting projects. Due to uncertainty around international travel restrictions, we could not sponsor non-U.S. residents for this adapted fellowship.
Below is information about our traditional Knight-Wallace Fellowship application process for international applicants when offered.
What to Prepare
Please read this page carefully as it provides instructions on submitting the required documents, work samples and reference information to successfully submit your application.
- To apply, you will create a login. You can save your information and return to the application at any time before your final submission.
- If you are unable to access the online application, please contact us.
- There are two parts to the application but you are required to complete only Phase One at this time.
Phase One of the Application
You will be asked to provide contact information for yourself and your employer, demographic data, and answer questions about your journalism achievements and disciplinary background. You will also be asked to upload several documents, including a resume, personal statement, study plan and work samples.
Letters of Reference
You do not need to submit letters at this time. You will be asked to enter the name, title and affiliation of each person whom you would ask to write a letter on your behalf. Applicants invited to complete Phase Two of the application process will be prompted to submit reference letters at that time.
Projected Study Plan
- In no more than 500 words tell us what academic areas you propose to study. How do these relate to your career objectives? How do you plan to carry out this work: Courses? Tutorials? Research? Indicate areas of study, not specific classes. What benefit will this be to you, your employer or the field of journalism following the fellowship?
- There will also be a field for you to summarize your study plan in 15 words or less.
- You will be required to upload a personal statement of up to 1,500 words. This statement should examine what inspires you as a journalist including life experiences, professional interests and core ethical values. How have these factors influenced your decision to submit an application for a fellowship at this point in your career? What are your professional aspirations and how do you expect the fellowship to help you attain those goals?
You will be asked to submit two work samples at this time. International applicants invited to complete Phase Two may be asked to send in additional samples at that time. All materials should preferably be from the past two years and submitted following the guidelines below.
Work samples may be uploaded in a variety of formats as indicated in the application. You may send samples from more than one medium but label them accordingly: Text, Photo, Video, Audio, Editor or Graphic/Visualization Sample.
- Text: Must include dates of publication.
- Photography: Photographs with captions indicating where they were published.
- Video and Audio: Maximum viewing or listening time should be a total of 30 minutes and include a brief description, dates aired and a statement describing your involvement in each piece.
- Editors/Managers: Upload a statement of no more than 500 words describing your job responsibilities and approach to your work. In addition to the statement, you may also submit stories or projects and include a description of your role in the pieces.
- Graphic/Visualization: Must include dates of publication.
English translations must accompany work samples.
Please make sure that URL links remain active through the application review period.
Phase Two of the Application
You need not do anything at this time. If selected as a semi-finalist, you will be notified and asked to complete Phase Two. At that point, letters of recommendation will be required and additional work samples may also be requested.
If you still have questions about the application process, email us at apply2KWF@umich.edu.