Last revision date as posted on website – September 2020
The University of Michigan (U-M) privacy statement recognizes the value of privacy of the university community members and its guests.
This unit-level privacy notice provides more specific information on how the Wallace House website wallacehouse.umich.edu collects and processes your personal information.
The notice applies to our practices for gathering and disseminating information related to the Wallace House website wallacehouse.umich.edu (“we”, “us”, or “our”) and is meant to provide you an overview of our practices when collecting and processing personal information.
|HOW WE COLLECT INFORMATION|
We collect personal information in the following circumstances
- Direct Collection: when you provide it to us, such as when you enter information on our website to sign up for our newsletter, or when you give us information for our Alumni Locator.
- Automated Processes: when you log into the website using your Wallace House username and password.
- Third-Party Collection: when third-party advertising and marketing providers capture personal information through technology, such as a cookie, on our behalf. A cookie is a small text file that is provided by a website, stored in a web browser, and downloaded to your device when you visit the website.
|WHAT TYPE OF INFORMATION WE COLLECT|
Knight-Wallace alumni may opt in to sharing the following personal information which will be used only for purposes of alumni networking amongst themselves in a private, password protected group. We directly collect the following personal information:
- Contact information, such as name, email, and phone number
- General geographical information, such as city, state, and country
- Job and specialties, such as your job title, current affiliation, and subject matter specialties.
When you visit wallacehouse.umich.edu and log in to Alumni Locator with your Wallace House username and password, we automatically collect and store certain information about your visit, such as date and time of visit.
We partner with third-party advertising and marketing providers, such as Google Analytics, to automatically collect and store certain information about your visit. The information includes:
- The internet domain from which a visitor accesses the website
- The IP address assigned to the visitor’s computer
- The type of browser the visitor is using
- The date and time of the visit
- The address of the website from which the visitor has linked to wallacehouse.umich.edu
- Content viewed during the visit
- Amount of time spent on the website.
|HOW THIS INFORMATION IS USED|
We use the personal information we collect to:
- Provide service support: information about your visits to our website allows us to monitor website performance and make improvements to site navigation and content.
- Offer relevant information and outreach: information about you and your interaction with our websites allows us to align information and outreach with your interests and engage with the Wallace House community in an effective and impactful way.
|WITH WHOM THIS INFORMATION IS SHARED|
We do not sell or rent your personal information. We may, however, share your personal information in limited circumstances, such as with university partners or external service providers that support our business activities. We require these service providers to keep your personal information secure, and do not allow them to use or share your personal information for any purpose other than providing services on our behalf.
We may also share your personal information when required by law, or when we believe sharing will help to protect the safety, property, or rights of the university, members of the university community, and university guests.
|WHAT CHOICES YOU CAN MAKE ABOUT YOUR INFORMATION|
You may choose not to enter personal information into our website. You can change email and communication preferences by clicking on the Unsubscribe or Manage Your Preferences links at the bottom of any email from us and unchecking the relevant boxes.
Automated and Third-Party Collection: Cookies
We use “cookies” to enhance your user experience when visiting wallacehouse.umich.edu. Cookies are files that store your preferences and other information about your visit to our website. When you access our website, the following cookies may be placed on your computer or device, depending on your web browser settings:
|Wallace House Session Cookie||Session cookies are used to track your page requests after login. They allow you to proceed through different pages on our website without having to authenticate for each new area you visit.||You can adjust your session cookies through your browser settings.|
|Google Analytics||Google Analytics cookies count visits and traffic sources in order to measure and improve the performance, navigation, and content of our website. See details about Google’s usage of cookies.||To block these cookies, visit https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
Alternatively, see information on managing cookies in your browser.
Third-Party Collection: Social Media Plugins
|HOW INFORMATION IS SECURED|
The University of Michigan recognizes the importance of maintaining the security of the information it collects and maintains, and we endeavor to protect information from unauthorized access and damage. The University of Michigan strives to ensure reasonable security measures are in place, including physical, administrative, and technical safeguards to protect your personal information.
|PRIVACY NOTICE CHANGES|
This privacy notice may be updated from time to time. We will post the date our notice was last updated at the top of this privacy notice.
|WHO TO CONTACT WITH QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS|
If you have any concerns or questions about how your personal data is used, please contact the Wallace House at WallaceHouseWebsite@umich.edu, or the U-M Privacy Office at email@example.com or 500 S. State Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48109.
|NOTICE SPECIFIC TO PERSONS WITHIN THE EUROPEAN UNION|
Please click here for notice specific to persons within the European Union.