Prizes of $10,000 will be presented in three categories: local, national and international reporting. There is no entry fee.
- Entrants must be 34 years of age or younger as of December 31, 2018.
- Multiple bylines are eligible, but all must meet the age criteria.
- One entry per individual is accepted. One entry can be a single piece or a maximum of three pieces either from a published series, an original piece and its follow-up developments or three pieces clearly tied together in a beat. All pieces of the series must be published by the same organization. There is not limit to the number of entries that a media organization can submit, provided that they enter only one entry per reporter.
- Print, online, video, audio and data visualization work is eligible. Still photography is not eligible.
- The work must appear in U.S. controlled media. Entrants are not required to be U.S. citizens.
- Entries must be directly related to current events or include new information about old events. Features and commentary are eligible.
- Submissions must consist of materials prepared in the ordinary course of the journalist’s professional production. Materials prepared by journalists specifically for submission to the Livingston Awards do not qualify.
- Student media are not eligible.
- Individuals may apply on their own, or be entered by their organization.
- Competition is limited to work published or appearing during calendar year ending December 31, 2018.
- Winners will participate in an outreach event arranged by the Livingston Awards.
- The deadline for entering work published in 2018 was February 1, 2019.
- Finalists will be notified by April 1, 2019. Announcement of winners will take place on June 4, 2019.